- 7-10 thrifted books
- Paper from the recycling bin to wrap them in
- Colorful scrap paper
1. Choose 7-10 books that your child will get really excited over. Eben loves graphic novels and comic books - so this was my focus. I picked up a handful of Garfield, The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes comic books. He will go berserk!
2. Wrap the books in fun paper from your recycling bin. I used leftover Scholastic book order forms.
3. Make 9-12 (depending on how many books you have + a couple extra) colorful hearts.
4. Right a "Welcome" on the first heart, such as; Hi, Happy Love Day! Follow the clues, one by one, you'll find a surprise each time you find one! Secure this heart on the front door or whatever door your child comes home from school in.
5. Place the second heart, right inside the front door - with the first clue on it. Write a different clue on all of the other hearts, each clue should direct your child to the next clue and so forth. I like to really spread the clues out so Eben has to go upstairs and downstairs, inside and outside over and over again. (Just make sure to do the scavenger hunt yourself one quick time to make sure that clues make sense!)
6. With each found clue, leave a wrapped book.
7. Place the last clue in the family room or a room that the entire family can join together in - watch your children unwrap and devour their books.