What you will need:
- 1 tablespoon melted Earth Balance (vegan butter) or organic butter
- 1/2 pound organic fresh broccoli (chopped)
- 1/2 organic onion (chopped)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups organic fat-free half-and-half or 2% milk
- 1 cup organic carrot (sliced, halved)
- 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance (vegan butter) or organic butter
- 1/4 cup organic whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon organic nutmeg
- 8 ounces organic sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
1. Saute the 1/2 organic onion in the 1 tablespoon of melted Earth Balance.
2. Over medium heat whisk the 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance with the whole-wheat flour for 3 minutes.
3. While stirring add, the organic fat-free half-and-half or 2% organic milk.
4. Add the vegetable stock and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Add the organic broccoli, onion/butter mixture, and carrots. Then, cook over low-heat for about 20 minutes.
6. Add the organic cheese, and if you would like use a hand blender to blend to your preferred consistency. Stir in the salt, pepper and nutmeg.